Whisper

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blessed are the poor in spirit....

It is so hard to choose what to focus on.
I am spending a lot of time reading in the Four Gospels comparing the writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  As I read...I try to ponder on what my children need.  It is overwhelming...they need it all! I need it all!
What finally stood out for me this time was The Sermon on the Mount.  I may not get through the whole list at this time, but for now....
"Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"
Matthew 5:3
I love the LDS Kings James Scriptures.  Everything has been crossed referenced so beautifully...We can gain so much from taking the time to read the footnotes and opening the Topical Guide. Use your scriptures...follow the paths of study laid out in their pages!

The word blessed has a footnote attached to it:
"The Latin beatus is the basis of the English ‘beatitude,’ meaning
‘to be fortunate,’ ‘to be happy,’ or ‘to be blessed.’"

Blessed, fortunate, happy are the poor in spirit.....
The logical question to ask would be...Do I feel blessed?  Fortunate? Happy?
If not, maybe I don't understand the meaning of being poor in spirit!
Luckily, poor has the next footnote. (and it isn't a small amount of information...but gives great insight)
"IE poor in pride, humble in spirit.

3 Ne. 12: 3 reads ‘ . . . the poor in spirit who come unto me.’
3 Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
**I guess it does us no good to be poor in pride and humble in spirit if we do not come unto him.....
James 2: 5 (1-9)
5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
**Hearken....be rich in faith...love him and we will be heirs of the kingdom...it is a promise!

D&C 56: 18 (18-20)
18 But blessed are the poor who are pure in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the dearth shall be theirs.
**I am certain to explore being pure in heart is meant for another post...in fact this entire scripture could be broken down into several posts...but the promise is still there if we do our part. For today, that is enough.

D&C 88: 17.
17 And the redemption of the soul is through him that quickeneth all things, in whose bosom it is decreed that the poor and the meek of the earth shall inherit it.

Sometimes Satan whispers to us that our soul is not worth redemption...
we must not listen to that voice but to the voice of
"him that quickenth all things"
Be meek and humble and the Spirit of God will
"bring me up again..."
(Psalm 71:20)

No matter how many times we feel beaten, or how many times we fall, He is willing to bless us with fortune and happiness and to lift us up. Are we humble enough to receive His hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment